Monday, July 18, 2011

Baby Nite Nite Boot Camp Night #1



We have officially started baby nite nite boot camp at our house. It is called "Operation: Get Tripp Sleeping Through the Night".
I thought I would document this for other people who might be going through the same thing, or for you to give me advice on what I am doing AND so Tripp can see, when he gets older, what a sweet little stinker he was when he was little (lol).
The first night (last night) went much better than I thought it would. Thanks to the advice that you sent to my Facebook and on here. I also re-read the sleep chapter of "Secrets of the Baby Whisperer" and got a plan.
It started at 8:00 when Tripp had his last bottle for the night. I made him 6 oz and added cereal to it. Then it was off to bed. I put Ella Harper in the Pack N Play in the spare bedroom with Daddy.
Tripp woke up the first time about 1:30. (As suggested in the book) I picked him up and put the paci in his mouth. I rocked him back and forth for about 10 minutes until he fell back asleep. This shocked me. I was sure that he would cry until I gave him a bottle.
#2 wake up came about 2:30. I did not pick him up but put the paci back in his mouth and patted his back until he stopped crying. He fell back asleep fairly quickly. (Surprise #2)
#3 wake up came at 3:30 (do you see a pattern? lol) This time, he was MAD! I went in and talk to him and patted his back and replaced the paci. Once he was ok, the "fun" began. He obviously thought it was time to play because the next think I know, he was kicking his feet and laughing. I softly told him it was time to go to sleep in my best nurturing mommy voice. That child looked right at me and spit (you know the kind where they stick their tongue out and blow slobber everywhere) and laughed. I got bad tickled and had to walk out.
He played and talked for about 10 minutes until, I guess, he realized that I was gone. Then the crying began again. I went in, patted his back and he went to sleep. All this in about 30 minutes.
He woke up this morning about 5:45 for breakfast.
I consider this a success. Hopefully night 2 will go just as well and we will dwindle down on the number of times that we are getting up. At least the feedings are gone (hopefully) and he will stop waking up out of habit. I also hope I do not get spit at tonight (crazy boy)! They never miss a chance to make me laugh! Wish me luck and prayers are appreciated!
P.S. Ella Harper and Daddy got a good nights rest in the spare bedroom! YAY!

Carlyn

No comments:

Post a Comment